Friday, August 6, 2010

Riding


Horseback riding has always been one of my favorite activities since I was just a little tyke. I remember going on the pony rides at Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle when I was 5 or 6 years old. It's one of my most vivid childhood memories.

Now, as an adult, I still get the chance to ride, although not as often as I'd like. There's nothing quite like riding a trail in the mountains surrounding Bozeman. Beautiful views, abundant wildflowers, birds singing everywhere, the smell of the horse underneath you. It's a powerful tonic.

Quite often we see wildlife. On a ride a few weeks ago, we came upon a herd of close to 150 elk. It was amazing to sit quietly and listen to the mothers call to their young calves. We also heard bulls bugling down below us. On the same ride, we surprised a black bear on the way back down the trail. Those kind of moments you remember forever. I'm so glad I live where I do.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, you are blessed to live in this magical, spiritual place Montana, riding your horse. Hugs, Teri

    ReplyDelete