Monday, January 25, 2010

Oncology Rehab

Today I went to talk to a lymphedema therapist. What is lymphedema, you ask? Well, when lymph nodes are removed, it interrupts the normal flow of fluid through your body. Fluid can build up in that area and cause swelling, in my case, my right arm. The swelling can be permanent if not dealt with early enough. Since I'm a fairly active person, I'm more at risk of getting lymphedema. It also can cause a breakdown in your immune system, and you have to be really careful about cuts and burns not getting infected. So my Bellevue oncologist referred me to the therapist to learn all about lymphedema and how to counteract it.

After explaining how the lymph system works, and what causes lymphedema, the therapist checked my range of motion in the right arm. She made several measurements on both arms. This helps you recognize if there's swelling in the affected arm.

Then she showed me about ten different massages to do daily to help the fluid drain into the healthy parts of my lymph system. I also have the option of wearing a compression sleeve on my arm when I know I'm going to be active (i.e. skiing, hiking, weight training, etc.). I learned too that when you fly, the cabin pressure in the plane is not the same as being on the ground, so I will probably need to wear the sleeve for traveling. And it's so stylish, too.

With all this new knowledge, I feel like I'm on my way to a medical degree of some kind.

4 comments:

  1. wow! Who would have known? I have never heard of lymphedema before. Well, you are getting a lot of helpful information. I'd be happy to wear a compression sleeve in solidarity with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. new info for me!!! You are in the height of the fashion divas now!!! Take good care of yourself.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your world must seem surreal right now. Different perspective. Good thing there is so much information out there to help you. You will be learning so much about your body you might start a new career. Well, I can see you have a valid reason for leaving the room during a boring conversation: "Excuse me while I massage my lymph system." :) Looking forward to seeing you when you get back to BOZO. Thanks for the updates. You're an inspiration. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful talking with you today and reading the latest on your blog. It's so good knowing you are back in Bozeman. Looking forwarding to hiking with you Monday and going to the Audubon meeting too. Hugs, Teri

    ReplyDelete