Monday, July 18, 2011

I Fish



Yes, you read it here. I am now a fly-fisher! I had asked John to teach me last year, so this year while we were camping in Yellowstone, he gave me a few pointers and turned me loose. On my 2nd day fishing on the Firehole River, I caught a nice little rainbow trout. And I was hooked! I fished mornings and evenings and caught a total of 6 fish. Not bad for a complete beginner. Of course I had to make all the rookie mistakes. I hooked myself in the leg, the hat (several times) and the shirt, as I learned to control my cast and remember where the fly was at all times. I also had an embarrassing encounter with two park rangers while I was practicing my casting (without a hook). Apparently I was practicing in a "closed to fishing" area. They asked me for my fishing permit, and whether I had a copy of the fishing regulations. They told me to avoid confusing other rangers by limiting my practice to the parking lot. Of all the years John has fished in Yellowstone, he's never been checked by park rangers. The very first time I pick up a rod, I get the third degree!

No comments:

Post a Comment