Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Getting tattooed

I got my radiation tattoos yesterday. It was a somewhat painful procedure. The technician put a dot of india ink on the spot, then pierced my skin with a needle. Luckily, there were only three spots to do. I'm beginning to re-think my idea of getting a real tattoo ....

This morning I went in for my first radiation treatment. They laid me on a hard-surfaced bed (like a CT scan), with my arms stretched over my head. The radiation machine zapped me for about 20 seconds at three different angles. That was it. Not real comfortable, but quick. Now I have to repeat the procedure another 32 times.

Afterwards, I met with my oncologist for a follow-up to the chemotherapy. We talked about how it had affected me, and what to expect next with the drug Tamoxifin, which I'll be taking now for at least 2 years. Tamoxifin is an estrogen inhibitor and has been used in treating breast cancer for about 30 years. The side-effects are minimal, and certainly less than the chemo. So begins Phase 3 of my treatment.

Lou Ann

4 comments:

  1. I'm Glad the first radiation treatment is over. The waiting for something that could be unpleasant is always hard. Your going to go through this next phase with your Viking, Pioneer,courage.Also with your great bunch of friends and family.I'll miss you on Mother's Day. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henna tattoos forever!

    christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that the chemotherapy and first radiation treatment are over. We certainly miss having you around at Eastside Audubon, but it sounds as though you are doing great work with birds in Montana. You are amazing!
    Thinking of you,

    Mary BS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi auntie Lou, It sounds like you are doing well and getting through all your treatments like the star that you are. I am a little sad that your first tattoo is related to breast cancer--when you're all done with the treatments, we'll have to go out and get real ones together :) of course, we won't tell grandma ;).
    I am really proud of you and am glad to hear everything is going so well. Take care, and hope you are starting to get some spring weather out there.
    love,
    jenny

    ReplyDelete