Saturday, February 13, 2010

Big Medicine

I was feeling pretty good yesterday, so John and I took a walk around the East Gallatin Recreation Area. It was mild and nobody else was around, just the way I like it. As I always do, I took my binoculars to look for any feathered friends who might be there.

As we walked into a grove of aspens, I noticed lots of magpies "mobbing", which generally means there is a predator nearby. After some looking, I found a Northern Goshawk ( a large hawk) up in a cottonwood. It was very obliging and sat perched for the entire time we were there. I had a sneaking suspicion that the bird had eaten recently, and was sitting there digesting. I can count the number of times I've seen a goshawk on one hand, so this was an exciting bird to see.

As we walked a bit further down the trail, I spotted a Great Horned Owl not 15 feet away from us, eyes closed! As John was looking at the owl, I saw another owl just across the trail, also very close and at eye level. Seeing owls has always been a very powerful and special thing for me. To see two, so close, was amazing. John and I both decided it was "big medicine". THIS is the kind of medicine I need.

Lou Ann

6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous owl picture! I too find so much peace and good feelings from nature! The birds are such an added dimension! Thanks for sharing, Lou Ann, and may you continue to feel better. Also, you are so lucky to have John and all of his support! Love Ya, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a fun time you and John had seeing great horned owls and the goshawk! The huge bald headed eagle is still hanging out in the cottonwood way in back and I spotted it late afternoon. I got bindings on my x-country skis today and am looking forward to that evening outing on the golf course with you and John, hopefully seeing some owls. Hugs, Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I believe in signs. This one is major!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is strength in the mountains! It's great you can be there in Bozeman for your treatments. Hang tough!!!! :)

    Leiann

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a test to see if I have learned the lesson that you sent to me. Mary W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It worked! I check your blog almost every day. Your pictures are so nice. I love the one of you and John and the mountains. The haircut is a success and shows the lovely shape of your head. Will you have to wear a nightcap to keep warm...or just drink one? We will expect to see you modeling your new hats and scarves. Your indomitable courage is endless! Mary W.

    ReplyDelete