Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Treatment No. 1

I had my first round of chemotherapy today. After meeting with the nurse and the physicians assistant, I went to the infusion room and got the IV started. First they gave me a 20 min. infusion of an anti-nausea drug. Then followed the real stuff. Each of those took about an hour. They started me out with a slower drip for the first 10 min. to make sure I didn't have an allergic reaction. Everything went well and I didn't have any problems.

They had a very nice volunteer who brought me food, drinks and a warm blanket while I sat in the lounger. I also had a visit from a therapy dog and her owner. Lucy is a Welsh Corgi, and just as sweet as they come. She jumped up on the chair next to me and I scratched her ears and chin. The rest of the time I talked with John or read, and listened to my iPod. The sound of the infusion pump was slightly irritating, so it was good to drown that out with some music.

The next 24-48 hours is when I'll start to feel the side-effects of the chemo. I have lots of prescriptions to help with nausea, but I'm hoping I don't need much. We'll see ...

More later.

Lou Ann

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lou, I've been about you today. I'm glad to hear that so far, things are going ok. That's great you get a puppy friend to help keep you company--they always seem to make things ok.
    Hope things go ok tonight and tomorrow and keep up the fight!
    xoxo,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Corgis! They look like they were made from spare parts.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lou!

    I've gotten behind in your blog, so now I'm up to speed. I'm glad your first infusion went well. I'll pray that you don't get side effects, or that they'll be mild. Are they going to put a port in, or are they sticking you in the arm each time? That could get old, I'm sure! I loved your comments about the pressure bandage. A gal I know at church has one of those (she also went through breast cancer).

    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could bring Ella there to visit you! She would give you lots of fuzzy comfort.

    I hope you are feeling OK today; I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather,

    I didn't really need a port, so they are sticking me the old-fashioned way. Needles have never bothered me much, thankfully!

    Lou Ann

    ReplyDelete