Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Side-Effects

My bird euphoria over the weekend was somewhat tempered with a bout of bone pain Sunday night. Nothing seemed to help in the way of pain medication, and I couldn't get comfortable. Fortunately, it had subsided by morning. This was not a side-effect I was expecting, though I had been warned about. It is interesting that where you produce most of your bone marrow is in your sternum and hips. And that's where I was hurting.

I'm also having trouble with the inside of my mouth. It feels like I ate a bowl of hot, melted cheese and burned it badly. So any foods that are coarse or acidic are definitely out for now. Bring on the ice cream! The only thing I can do is rinse with a solution of baking soda and salt in warm water.

Today I go for a blood draw to check my blood count levels. I'll have to be extra careful to limit my exposure to other people during this time because of risk of infection.

I took a walk this morning around the neighborhood, which felt good. The sun is shining and the birds are singing. Tomorrow my friend Teri is coming over for a ski around the golf course. I can't wait!

Lou Ann

4 comments:

  1. We had a good run around the golf course. It was a grand time, getting snowed on and just wizzing along with you. Looking forward to more soon. Thanks too for the knitting lesson. Vivian and I did several rows together this afternoon. Hugs, Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri, you got me back to my knitting, too. I worked on my Bobcat scarf last night while watching the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had trouble with (a) dry mouth and (b) everything tasting terrible. I don't think you'll get the latter, since you're not having Adriamycin, but some of the dry mouth solutions might help with your burned mouth:
    - Kraft caramels or Werther's caramels (sucking on them causes saliva production; I kept them in the nightstand for when I woke up)
    - lemon drops or squirt lemon juice into your mouth (didn't work for me, buy my oncologist swore by it)
    - you can also buy saliva solution (ask the pharmacist for the brand name), but I hated the taste

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read the blog by Barbara Geller and would like to offer a suggestion. Dentist's recommend Biotene for dry mouth. It is an over the counter product and comes in mouthwash, toothpaste and chewing gum. I don't know if it will help in your case or hers and it sure won't taste as good candies! Good luck to you again with another favorable response to the Chemo! MaryW

    ReplyDelete