Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chemical Lou

Yesterday and today, John and I attended cancer education sessions at Bozeman Deaconess. Yesterday's session was an overall look at cancer and it's treatment, plus we were introduced to the cancer team (i.e. radiation, chemotherapy, wellness & support). We were really impressed by all the information that was included, plus hearing about the Wellness Community, a local cancer support and education group. They offer all sorts of free classes, activities and counseling. I'm considering one of the accupunture sessions.

Today was my drug education meeting with the nurse practitioner. She went over all the medications I will be taking during my chemotherapy treatments. I won't get too technical here, because I'm sure your eyes will start to glaze over (as mine did). The skinny is this: starting a day before my chemo, I will take a cortisone drug to reduce the severity of fluid retention (swelling) caused by one of the chemo medications. I'll continue to take this med. for 4-5 days. Then on chemo day, they pre-medicate me with anti-nausea medication, followed by the two chemo drugs (Taxotere & Cytoxan). Each of those take over an hour on an IV drip.

The day after chemo, I come back to the Cancer Center for a injection of Neulasta. This will help keep my white blood cell count from bottoming out for a long period of time.

And then there are the 3 or 4 different anti-nausea drugs they send me home with. I may not need any of them, but just in case .......

So John has nicknamed me, "Chemical Lou". I think it's an appropriate nickname, don't you?

More to come on Tuesday. Now it's time to cram in some fun (skiing, Super Bowl party, etc.)

Lou Ann

3 comments:

  1. John better be thinking of the follow-up name AFTER "chemical Lou" is done and all healthy.
    Lucky Lou
    Lovely Lou
    Lovable Lou
    It's an icky, bumpy road, but you can do it!! You WILL do it. So mny people behind you. So-o many cheerleaders to cheer you on. You're in my thoughts. hugs, Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lou Ann - Sun shinning bright to fill you with warmth and healing along with my hugs and love Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LouAnn
    Testing my skills at sending you a note back, hope your day was great,Tena.

    ReplyDelete